· The Dangerous Shirt. Poems. Copper Canyon Press, 2009.
· Capirotada: A Nogales Memoir. Memoir. University of New Mexico Press, 1999; reprinted, 2008. Latino Literary Hall of Fame Book Award, 2000. Second edition, 2008. OneBookAZ Award, 2009.
· The Theater of Night. Poems. Copper Canyon Press, 2005. PEN/Beyond Margins Award, 2007. Lannan Literary Selection, 2006. Second printing, 2007.
· The Smallest Muscle in the Human Body. Poems. Copper Canyon Press, 2002. National Book Award Finalist, 2002. Lannan Literary Selection, 2002. Second Printing, 2002.
· The Curtain of Trees. Stories. University of New Mexico Press, 1999.
· Pig Cookies. Stories. Chronicle Books, 1995. New York Public Library “Books to Remember” Selection, 1995.
· Teodoro Luna’s Two Kisses. Poems. W.W. Norton, 1990.
· The Lime Orchard Woman. Poems. The Sheep Meadow Press, 1988.
· The Warrington Poems. Poems. Pyracantha Press, 1989. Arizona State University Centennial Literary Selection. Limited Edition.
· Five Indiscretions. Poems. The Sheep Meadow Press, 1985.
· The Iguana Killer. Stories. Blue Moon and Confluence Press, 1984. Second Printing: 1994. Third and subsequent Printings: University of New Mexico Press, 1998. 1984 Western States Book Award for Fiction.
· Whispering to Fool the Wind. Poems. The Sheep Meadow Press, 1982. Academy of American Poets Walt Whitman Award, 1981.
· Sleeping on Fists. Poems. Dooryard Press, 1981. Limited Edition.
· Elk Heads on the Wall. Poems. Mango Press, 1979. Limited Edition.