- What is a spreadsheet?
What is it good for?
- What are some of the spreadsheets available for Macintosh and Windows 95 machines?
- How are spreadsheets used in science?
Basic Operation of Microsoft Excel to Understand Geologic Problems
- Example of Microsoft Excel
for analyzing physical processes- The Spanish Peaks and pressurized magma
- Transformation of data: Coordinate System Rotations and Translations.
Basic Spreadsheet Commands:
- Entering Numeric Values.
- Entering String Values.
- Entering Equations
- Naming Variables
- Referring to other cells
- Absolute vs. Relative References
Visualizing Data-- Plots in Excel
- Creating Bar Charts
- Creating X-Y Charts
- Creating contour and surface charts
- Changing the axis units
- Creating a title
- Creating a legend
- Creating axis labels
Parsing Text Files in Excel
- What does parsing do?
- Removing headers from files
- Specifying how to import the data
Formatting Numbers in Excel
- Specifying number format
- Specifying number of significant digits in problem
Pages last modified on Tues Sept 23 1997.