Directions: Choose one of the following topics to write about
on your first critical paper. For this one, please confine yourself
to Carlyle, Tennyson, Bronte, Kingsley, and Newman. Because these
are only topics, you will need to find an issue worth arguing
about and pose that issue as a question. Once you've identified
a question, your general answer to that question can be your thesis.
You should support your claims with evidence from the readings.
Use MLA format for all citations, including citations from the
1) Vampirism and Desire in Wuthering Heights and/or "In Memoriam."
3) Identification and desire.
4) Violence as bonding.
5) The male community (Abbot Samson).
6) Woman as mediator.
7) Sucking leverets (childhood, infantile desire, etc.).
8) The problem of desire for the original.
9) Property and love.
10) Narrative framing.
11) "Conquest" versus "rule"
12) Newman's ideal of the gentleman and Heathcliff.
Return to ENG