: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Child
- 1st baby: You begin wearing maternity clothes as
soon as your OB/GYN confirms your pregnancy.
- 2nd baby: You wear your regular clothes for as long as possible.
- 3rd baby: Your maternity clothes ARE your regular clothes.
Preparing for the Birth:
- 1st baby: You practice your breathing religiously.
- 2nd baby: You don't bother practicing because you remember that
last time, breathing didn't do a thing.
- 3rd baby: You ask for an epidural in your eighth month.
- 1st baby: You pre-wash newborn's clothes, color-coordinate them,
and fold them neatly in the baby's little bureau.
- 2nd baby: You check to make sure that the clothes are clean &
discard only the ones with the darkest stains.
- 3rd baby: Boys can wear pink, can't they?
- 1st baby: At the first sign of distress--a whimper, a frown--you
pick up the baby.
- 2nd baby: You pick the baby up when her wails threaten to wake your
- 3rd baby: You teach your three-year-old how to rewind the mechanical
- 1st baby: If the pacifier falls on the floor, you put it away until
you can go home and wash and boil it.
- 2nd baby: When the pacifier falls on the floor, you squirt it off
with some juice from the baby's bottle.
- 3rd baby: You wipe it off on your shirt and pop it back in.
- 1st baby: You change your baby's diapers every hour, whether they
need it or not.
- 2nd baby: You change their diaper every two to three hours, if needed.
- 3rd baby: You try to change their diaper before others start to
complain about the smell or you see it sagging to their knees.
- 1st baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics, Baby Swing, and
- 2nd baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics.
- 3rd baby: You take your infant to the supermarket and the dry cleaner.
- 1st baby: The first time you leave your baby with a sitter, you
call home five times.
- 2nd baby: Just before you walk out the door, you remember to leave
a number where you can be reached.
- 3rd baby: You leave instructions for the sitter to call only if
she sees blood.
- 1st baby: You spend a good bit of every day just gazing at the baby.
- 2nd baby: You spend a bit of everyday watching to be sure your older
child isn't squeezing, poking, or hitting the baby.
- 3rd baby: You spend a little bit of every day hiding from the children.
- 1st child: when first child swallows a coin, you rush the child
to the hospital and demand x-rays.
- 2nd child: when second child swallows a coin, you carefully watch
for coin to pass.
- 3rd child: when third child swallows a coin you deduct it from his