| Design Fundamentals | Rev 05 Sep 99 |
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
E | Glossary return
- n. 1. a. The omission of a word or phrase necessary for a complete syntactical construction but not necessary for understanding. b. An example of such omission. 2. A mark or series of marks (..., for example) used in writing or printing to indicate an omission, especially of letters or words.
- n. 1. Special forcefulness of expression that gives importance to something singled out; stress. 2. Special attention or effort directed toward something. 3. Prominence given to a syllable, word, or words, as by raising the voice or printing in italic type.
- n. 1. The disposition, character, or fundamental values peculiar to a specific person, people, culture, or movement:
- n. 1. A condition in which all acting influences are canceled by others, resulting in a stable, balanced, or unchanging system. See note at balance. 2. Mental or emotional balance; poise. 3. Physics The state of a body or physical system at rest or in unaccelerated motion in which the resultant of all forces acting on it is zero and the sum of all torques about any axis is zero. 4. Chemistry The state of a chemical reaction in which its forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates so that the concentration of the reactants and products does not change with time.
- n. 1. The act of extending or the condition of being extended. 2. The amount, degree, or range to which something extends or can extend. 3. a. The act of straightening or extending a limb. b. The position assumed by an extended limb. 4. Medicine The application of traction to a fractured or dislocated limb to restore the normal position. 5. a. An addition that increases the area, influence, operation, or contents of something: an extension for the vacuum cleaner; built a new extension onto the hospital wing. b. An additional telephone connected to a main line. 6. a. An allowance of extra time, especially for the repayment of a debt. b. The period of this extra time: three months' extension on the loan. 7. The property of an object by which it occupies space. 8. A program in a university, college, or school that offers instruction, as by television or correspondence, to persons unable to attend at the usual time or in the usual place. 9. Logic The class of objects designated by a specific term or concept; denotation. 10. Mathematics A set that includes a given and similar set as a subset.
| dictionary.com |
| Glossary return | Design Fundamentals return | Home return |
Prof Thomas Detrie | email@example.com