Gail-Joon Ahn, PhD, CISSPProfessor of Computer Science and Engineering
Fulton Entrepreneurial Professor
Director, Center for Cybersecurity and Digital Forensics
Director, Laboratory of Security Engineering for Future Computing
School of Computing, Informatics and Decision Systems Engineering
Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering , Arizona State University
He is a recipient of Department of Energy CAREER Award and the Educator of the Year Award from the Federal Information Systems Security Educators' Association (FISSEA). Prior to ASU, he was an Associate Professor of College of Computing and Informatics and Founding Director of Center for Digital Identity and Cyber Defense Research (DICyDER) at UNC Charlotte. Also, he is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
News and Highlights
- The State of US Cybersecurity, ASU Now, February 9, 2016.
- Cybersecurity expert recognized ..., ASU Full Circle, December 17, 2015.
- ASU engineers working ... nation's energy delivery systems ..., ASU Full Circle, November 20, 2015.
- Team FLOWGUARD wins third place in national ..., ASU Full Circle, August 19, 2015.
- Working to make mobile payment more secure, ASU News, December 19, 2014.
- Website live streaming unsecured webcams, USA Today, November 13, 2014.
- Highlighted ACM CCS 2014, ASU Full Clrcle, Octobre 23, 2014.
- Google Fiber expansion chang.., The State Press, March 4, 2014.
- Windows 8 picture passwords ..., InformationWeek and WeLiveSecurity, August 30, 2013.
- Tests new picture password system, The State Press, August 28, 2013.
- Picture password system promising ..., ASU Full Circle and ASU News, August 7, 2013.
- ASU scientist patents security process, Phoenix Business Journal, June 14, 2013.
- Patented system bolsters security ..., ASU Full Circle and ASU News, May 20, 2013
- Homeland security must ..., Tucson Sentinel, Feb 26, 2013
- HTML5: the future of ..., The State Press, Oct , 2010.
- Making mobile computing more secure, ASU Full Circle and ASU News, August 18, 2010.
- Innovative mobile device identity management ..., Market Wired, August 17, 2010.
- Greeting unwanted visitors, Charlotte Business Journal, April 16, 2007.
Research Activities and Publications[ ... visit SEFCOM for details ... ]
- CSE 465: Introduction to Information Assurance, [ Fall ]
- CSE 469/598: Forensic Computing: Computer and Network Forensics, [ Spring ]
- Information Director, ACM Special Interest Group on Security, Audit and Control (SIGSAC), 2002 onwards.
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2010 onwards.
- Editorial Board, Computers & Security, 2013 onwards.
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Database Management, 2001 onwards.
- Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Information and System Security, 2011-2014.
- Steering Committee Chair, ACM Symposium on Access Control Models And Technologies (SACMAT), 2016.
- Steering Committee, ACM Symposium on InformAtion, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), 2016.
- Program Committee, ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2015.
- Program Co-Chair, ACM Symposium on InformAtion, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), 2015.
- Program Committee, ACM Symposium on Access Control Models And Technologies (SACMAT), 2015.
- Program Committee, ACM Conference on Data and Application Security and Privacy (CODASPY), 2015.
- Program Committee, IEEE International Computer Software & Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 2015.
- Track Chair, ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC)--Smart Grid and Smart Technologies Track, 2015
- Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IRI), 2015
- General Chair, ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2014.
- Program Committee, The International Conference on Collaborative Computing (CollaborateCom), 2014.
- Program Committee, European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), 2014.
Awards and Recognition
- CAREER Award, Department of Energy, September 2003
- Educator of the Year Award, Federal Information Systems Security Educators' Association, March 23, 2005
- Guest Editor, ACM Transactions on Information and System Security , Vol.10, No.1, February 2007
- Guest Editor, IEEE Internet Computing (May/June), 2011
- NSF Panelist, 2004 onwards.
- IEEE Senior, 2007 onwards.
- ACM Distinguished Scientist (Lifetime Member), 2015 onwards.
- Best Researcher Award, CIDSE, ASU, 2013.
- Best Paper Award, CODASPY, 2014.
- US 8402526 System integrating an identity selector and user-portable device and method of use in a user-centric identity management system, March 2013.
- US 8793757 User-directed privacy control in a user-centric identity management system, July 2014.
- US 8799984 User agent to exercise privacy control management in a user-centric identity management system, August 2014.
- US 8850548 User-portable device and method of use in a user-centric identity management system, September 2014.
- US 8869257 Identity selector for use with a user-portable device and method of use in a user-centric identity management system, October 2014.
- US 9069948 Methods, systems, and media for measuring quality of gesture-based passwords, June 2015.
- US 9130915 Preference editor to facilitate privacy controls over user identities, Sepmber 2015.