Directions: Choose one of the following to topics to discuss in your second critical paper which is due on July 2. These papers should be 5-7 pages in length and should be constructed around a thesis which is related to one of the topics.
1) Erotic experience in Swinburne.
2) Narcissism and gender: Rossetti's "Jenny" and Christina Rossetti's "In an Artist's Studio"
3) Death as erotic experience: Pater and/or Swinburne
4) Dorian relationships and the problem of "influence": Wilde and Symonds
5) Darwinian natural selection: Dorian Gray
6) Pater's "Conclusion" and Wilde's "The Portrait of Mr. WH"
7) Homosexual identity and Aestheticism: Foucault, Wilde, Pater, internet links
8) Imperialism and The Jungle Books
9) The Jungle Books as masculine Bildungsroman
10) The pleasures of violence
11) Animalism and Darwinism: Kipling, Tennyson, Wilde
12) Male bonding in Dorian Gray and The Jungle Books