Directions: Choose one of the following topics to write about for your first critical paper. Remember: these are only topics. You will need to find a thesis that is worth arguing. If you wish to get my response to your thesis, you may send it to me by email and I will respond.
1. Triangular relationships in Pride and Prejudice.
2. Austen and patriarchy.
3. The dangers of moral seriousness in P&P.
4. Austen's tone.
5. Judgment versus feeling in P&P.
6. The power of place in P&P.
7. Austen a Romantic?
8. Austen and the problem of social class hierarchies.
9. Psychologized architecture in Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre.
10. Unconventionality in Jane Eyre.
11. Social rules in Austen and Bronte.
12. The problem of male autonomy in Austen and Bronte.
13. The governess as social class mediator: Bronte's Jane Eyre.
14. Jane Eyre and the middle class domestic ideal.
15. Jane Eyre as fire-starter and fire-douser.
Return to English