DMML Group Pictures
ASU Computer Science Ranking
Orientation DMML Slides
prospective student, you can get a sample of me at
III:Small: Discovering and Characterizing Implicit Links in Graph Data,
NSF (#1614576), 10/01/2016 - 09/30/2019.
Developing Novel Socio-Computational Methodologies to Analyze
Multimedia-based Cyber Propaganda Campaigns, $210,400, UALR, 06/01/2017 -
2/28/2019. ONR N00014-17-1-2605
- II-NEW: GEARS - An
Infrastructure for Energy-Efficient Big Data Research on Heterogeneous and
Dynamic Data, $750,000,
NSF (#1629888), 09/01/2016 - 08/31/2019. PI: Ming
Zhao; Co-PIs: Fengbo Ren, Hasan Davulcu, Huan Liu, and K. Selcuk Candan.
- TweetTracker Interface
Adapter Design Support and Evaluation, Progeny Systems Corporation,
$124,069, 08/10/2016 - 7/05/2019.
- CDS&E/Collaborative Research:
DataStorm: A Data Enabled System for End-to-End Disaster Planning and
NSF (#1610282), 08/01/2016 - 07/31/2019. PI: K. Selcuk Candan; Co-PIs:
Huan Liu, Ming Zhao, and Pitu Mirchandani.
Intelligent Analysis of Big
Social Media Data for Crisis Tracking, $450,000, ONR (N00014-16-1-2257),
02/01/2016 - 12/31/2017.
- Research Area 5.3.3:
Sybil-Resilient Influence Measurement in Microblogging Systems, $450,000,
ARO (W911NF-15-1-0328), 7/15/2015 - 12/14/2018, Co-PI, 40% (PI: Yanchao
- Social Media Analytics for
Bots, Charles River/SBIR, $45,000, 7/6/2015 - 11/06/2016.
- Disaster Preparation and Response via Big Data Analysis and Robust Networking, $300,000, NSF
(#1461886), 3/1/2015 - 2/28/2019, Co-PI, 40% (PI: Guoliang Xue)
- Multi-Source Assessment of
State Stability, $449,070, the Department of Defense under the MINERVA initiative through the ONR N000141310835, 6/1/2013 -
[Show Completed Projects]
Highly motivated and qualified PhD students are always welcome to join our
data mining and machine learning (DMML) lab.
Preferences are given to the students who are taking or have taken my
courses because of the needed training.
We strive to make impact by performing persistent and innovative research
and by working on challenging real-world problems. All students are expected to
be self-motivated, hard-working, creative, and competitive team-players who produce quality
work and publish their work in highly ranked conferences and journals. The
former graduated students are now professors in research universities, employed
by IT companies (Google, Honeywell, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Yahoo, Amazon, Intel, SAS, among
others), work at leading research institutions or start-ups, or as independent entrepreneurs/consultants.
If you are seriously considering data mining and machine learning as your
research directions, please send me email to make an appointment for interview.
Please include "Data Mining and Machine Learning" in your email
subject to warrant a reply to your email inquiry.
Some useful links:
Undergraduate Students at ASU
- Matthew Davis, Honors, Spring 2018 - Fall 2018; NSF REU, Fall 2018; FURI, Summer and Fall 2018;
- Jennifer Berumen, NSF REU, Fall 2017 - Spring 2018; FURI, Fall 2018 - Spring 2019;
- Marcus Stilwell, FURI, Fall 2018;
- Alex Nou, Summer 2017 - ; FURI, Spring 2018;
- Sarah Smallwood, Aerospace Engineering, Honor's Theis (2nd Reader).
Fall, 2017 - Spring 2018
- Lilian Ngweta, Honors, Fall 2017 - Spring 2018
- Daniel Baird, research preparation for FURI, Fall 2016; Honors Thesis, Fall 2017 -
- Christina Wilmot, Honors Thesis, Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
- Lewis Ruskin, Honors Thesis, Spring 2016 - Spring 2017
- Andrew Dudley, Fall 2016
- Kian Fakhri, Honors Thesis, Spring 2016 - Fall 2016
- Grant Marshall, REU Student December 2011 - Spring 2015; Honors Thesis, Fall 2014 -
- Daniel Howe, REU Student Summer 2013 - Summer 2015
- Mark Karlsrud, Honors Thesis, Fall 2014 - Spring 2015
- Lisa Baer, Fall 2013 - Spring 2014
- Aaron Mattson, Fall 2012 - Spring 2013 (Honor's Thesis, 2nd Reader)
- Garret Walliman, Fall 2012 - Spring 2013 (Honor's Thesis, 2nd Reader)
- Luke Pirtle, Summer 2012 - January 2013
- Shantanu Bala, January 2012 - August 2012
- Lin Yang, Fall 2011 - Spring 2012
- Patrick Mcinerney, Honors, Intelligent Data Collection with iPad, Fall
2010 - Spring 2011
- Fred Morstatter, Feature Selection, Fall 2009 - Spring 2011
- Patrick Krecker, Honors, Social Media Data Crawling, Fall 2009 - Spring 2010
- David Weber, Honors, co-supervised with Professor Violet
R. Syrotiuk, Social Network Analysis Fall 2008-Spring
Graduate Students at ASU
Isaac Jones, Ph.D., Fall 2012
- Tahora Hossein Nazer, Ph.D., Spring 2014
- Jundong Li, Ph.D., Fall 2014
- Liang Wu, Ph.D., Fall 2014
- Ghazaleh Beigi, Ph.D., Fall 2014
- Kai Shu, Ph.D., Fall 2015
- Gennaro De Luca, Ph.D., (Principal Advisor: Dr. Yinong Chen), Fall 2016
- Lu Cheng, Ph.D., Fall 2017
- Nur Shazwani Kamrudin, Ph.D., Fall 2017
- Ruocheng Guo, Ph.D., Fall 2017
- Kaize Ding, Ph.D., Fall 2017
- Raha Moraffah, Ph.D., Fall 2017
- Bing Hu, Ph.D., (co-supervised with Dr. Karl G. Kempf), Spring 2018
PhD Students graduated at ASU (Mathematics
Lei Yu, PhD, Redundancy-based
Feature Selection for High-Dimensional Data and Application in
SUNY Binghamton, Tenure
Track, July 2005; Outstanding Ph.D. Student in CSE, ASU,
Nitin Agarwal, PhD, Social Computing in Blogosphere, July 2009;
UALR, Tenure Track, August 2009; Outstanding Ph.D. Student Finalist in
SCI, ASU in April 2009.
Moturu, PhD, Quantifying the Trustworthiness
of User-Generated Social Media Content, July 2009; Post Doc jointly funded
by DMML, ASU and Media Lab, MIT, August 2009;
Paper Award at HealthInfo2008.
Alan Zhao, PhD, Spectral Feature Selection, SAS, July, 2010
(co-chair with Jieping Ye);
Outstanding Ph.D. Student in CSE, ASU, 2008
- Lei Tang, PhD, Learning with Large-Scale
Social Media Networks, Yahoo! Labs, August 2010
- Geoffrey Barbier, PhD, Provenance Data in Social Media, AFRL, November 2011
- Xufei Wang, PhD, Connecting Users with Similar Interests for Group Understanding, LinkedIn, April 2013
- Salem Alelyani, PhD,
On Feature Selection Stability - A Data Perspective, King Khalid University, Abha, Asir, Saudi Arabia, Assistant Professor, April 2013
Ali Abbasi, Ph.D. Understanding Social Media Users vis Attributes and Links, November,
Huiji Gao, Ph.D. Personalized POI Recommendation on Location-Based
Social Networks, November 2014, 2014. LinkedIn, January 2015
Jiliang Tang, Ph.D.,
Computing Distrust in Social Media, Feb 2015. Yahoo Labs. (i) Outstanding
Computer Science PhD Student in CIDSE Award (May 1, 2015), (ii) Fulton
Schools of Engineering Dean's Disseration Award (May 13, 2015), and
(iii) ACM SIGKDD2015 Doctoral Dissertation Award Runner Up.
- Pritam Gundecha, Ph.D., Managing User's Vulnerability on a Social Networking Site, March 2015. IBM Research Almaden
- Shamanth Kumar, Ph.D., Social Media Analytics for Crisis Response, April 2015.
Castlight Health. Shamanth's dissertation featured by IEEE Signal
Processing society eNews in the Year 2015.
- Xia Ben Hu, Ph.D., Mining Content and Relations for Social Spammer Detection, April 2015.
Outstanding Graduate Student Award in Fulton Scuools of Engineering (May
Tenure Track, Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University.
- Reza Zafarani, Ph.D.,
Making Thin Data Thick: User Behavior Analysis with Minimum Information, May 2015.
Tenure Track, Assistant Professor, Syracuse University.
Galan, PhD, Leveraging Collective Wisdom in A MultiLabeled Blog
Categorization Environment, July 2015. Intel.
- Yunzhong Liu, Ph.D.,
Patient-Centered and Experience-Aware Mining for Effective Information
Discovery in Health Forums. June,
2016. co-supervised with Professor Yi Chen. LeEco US.
- Robert (Rob) Trevino, Ph.D.,
Big Data Analysis of Bacterial Inhibitors in Parallelized Cellomics - A
Machine Learning Approach, August 2016. AFRL.
- Somnath Shahapurkar, PhD, Crossing the Chasm: Deploying Machine Learning Analytics in Dynamic Real-World Scenarios, October 2016. FICO.
- Fred Morstatter,
Ph.D., Discovering and Mitigating Social Data Bias, June 2017. USC ISI.
- Philippe Christophe Faucon,
Ph.D., Gene Network Inference via Sequence Alignment and Rectification,
August, 2017. Norconsult informasjonssystemer AS, Norway.
- Suhas Ranganath, Ph.D., Facilitating Efficient
Information Seeking in Social Media, October 2017. co-supervised with
Professor Ying-Cheng Lai. Walmart Labs,
- Suhang Wang, Ph.D., Network Representation
Learning in Social Media, August 2018. Tenure Track,
Assistant Professor, College of Information Science and Technology,
Pennsylvania State University. Fulton Schools of Engineering 2018 Dean's
MS Students graduated at ASU
MS, Meta Data and Namespaces
Spring 2001, co-supervised with Professor Selcuk
Candan, graduated Spring 2003. Honeywell.
Han, MCS, Automatic RDF Metadata Generation for Relational Databases,
graduated in Spring 2002.
MS, View Validation for Image Mining,
Spring 2002, graduated Fall 2003. The
Center and the
MS, Active Learning for Image Mining,
Spring 2002, graduated Fall 2003. Microsoft, Redmond.
Kundalkar, MCS, Intelligent Data Extraction,
Fall 2002, graduated Fall 2003
Selective Voting for Ensemble Methods, Spring
2003, graduated Spring 2004. Microsoft, Redmond.
Subspace Search for Web Mining Applications, Summer 2003, graduated Fall
MS, Intelligent Driving Data
Analysis, Spring 2003, graduated Fall 2004. Yahoo.
Galan, MCS, Instance Selection for Stream Data , Summer, 2004, graduated
MS, Selection Bias in Machine Learning, Summer 2004,
graduated May 2006. Independent consultant.
MS, Spring 2003, Integrated
Learning from Microarrays - Discovering Subtypes
of Glioblastoma, graduated Fall 2006. ASU.
MS, Spring 2005,Sensor Networks:
Decentralized Monitoring and Subspace Classification of Events, Fall 2006.
Tiwari, MCS, Fall 2004, A Case Study of HRC
Databases and Applications, Spring 2007
, Spring 2006, Evaluation
Methodology for Comparing Feature Selection, Spring 2007,
- Sanjay Sundararajan, MCS, Spring
2007, Online Group Interaction Study. Graduated in Spring 2008.
Shankar Bhargav Subramanya,
MS, Fall 2006, View Completion and Collaborative Tagging in Blogosphere, co-supervised with
Professor Baoxin Li. Graduated in July 2008. Amazon.com.
Nguyen, MCS, Fall 2006, Web Analytics and Mining.
- Shashvata Sharma, MCS, Spring
2010, Feature Selection, Microsoft
- Gayathri Varadarajan, MS, Fall 2010, A Data-Driven Framework for Prognostics.
- William Cole, MS, Summer 2011,
Sentiment Propagation in Social Media.
- Aneeth Anand, MS, Spring 2012, Expanding Data Mining Theories for Industrial
- Ashwin Rajadesingan, MS, Fall 2014, Detecting Sarcasm on Twitter: A Behavior
- Ran Wang, MS, April 2015, Toward Small Community Discovery in Social Networks
- Harsh Dani, MS, January 2017,
Sentiment Informed Cyberbullying Detection in Social Media
- Kewei Cheng, MS, February 2017, Mining Signed Social networks Using Unsupervised Learning Algorithms
- Justin Sampson, MS, Spring 2016,
Assessing Veracity in Streaming Social Media Data for Crisis Response
- Shobhit Sharma, MCS,
TweetTracker, Spring 2017 - Fall 2017, Spring 2018 (project assistant)
- Kunal Bansal, MCS,
TweetTracker+Bot Detection, Spring 2017 - Fall 2017 (project assistant)
- Chetan Gupta, MS, Fall 2017 -
Spring 2018 (project assistant)
- Venkatesh Magham, MS, Fall
2017 - Spring 2018 (project assistant)
- Deepak Mahudeswaran, MCS,
Spring 2018 - (project assistant)
- Rohit Bhanushali, MCS, Spring
2018 - Fall 2018 (project assistant)
- Abhay Joshi, MCS, Spring 2018 -
Fall 2018 (project assistant)
- Matthew Davis, MS, Spring 2019
- Dr. Vineeth Rakesh Mohan, August 2017 - July 2018
- Dr. Tanatorn Tanatong, January - May 2016
- Dr. Uraz Yavanoglu, May 2015 - April 2016
- Dr. Xia Ben Hu, May 2015 - August 2015
- Dr. Shamanth Kumar, May 2015 - June 2015
- Dr. Zigang Huang (PPI Ying-Cheng Lai), June 2014 - July 2015
- Dr. Zhuo Feng, May 2012 - Spring 2013
- Dr. Peng Zhang (PI Baoxin Li), Spring 2012 - December 2013
- Dr. Sai Moturu, Fall 2009 - Summer 2010
- Dr. Gabriel Fung, Spring 2010 - Fall 2010
High School Students visiting or visited ASU(2016, 2013, 2012)
- Ricky Hsu; Soumya Kambhamparti, Terry Wen, Daria Bazzi
Visiting Scholars at ASU
- Gang Wei, Graduate Student, Xian Jiaotong University, Xian, November
2018 - May 2019
- Saul Solorio Ferbabdez, PhD Student, National Institute of Astrophysics,
Optics, and Electronics, Puebla, Mexico, September 2018 - April 2019
- Shuo Yang, PhD Student, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai,
September 2017 - September 2018
- Shan-Yun Sharon Teng, PhD Student, National Cheng Kung University,
Taiwan, August 2017 - July 2018
- Xuying Meng, PhD Student, Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, September 2016 - March 2017
- Dr. Uraz Yavanoglu, Gazi University, Turkey, May 2015 - April 2016
- Augusto Andrade, PhD Candidate, Spring, Summer, and Fall 2011,
University of São Paulo -- USP, Feature Selection for Clustering.
- Zhuo Feng, PhD Candidate, Fall 2011 - Spring 2012, University of Arizona, Web Search.
Visiting Professors at ASU
- Professor Hai Huang, Beijing University of Post and
Telecommunications, October, 2018 - October, 2019
- Professor Yufeng Yu, HoHai University, August 2018 - August 2019
- Professor Min Gao, Chong Qing University, December 2017 - January 2019
- Professor Chen Chen, Nankai University, August, 2017 - September, 2018
- Mr. Fang Chen, Library of Chinese Academy of Sciences, November, 2017 -
- Professor Zhipeng Liu, NanJing University of Post and Telecommunications
(NJUPT), January 2018 - March 2018
- Professor Yinglong Zhang, East China Jiaotong University, Nanchang, Jiangxi, September, 2016- August, 2017
- Dr. Tanatorn Tanantong, Rangsit University, Pathum Tani, Thailand,
January - May 2016
- Professor Ling Jian, China University of Petroleum, Qingdao, Shandong, September, 2015 -
- Professor Jongwon Seok, Changwon National University, September 2014 -
- Porfessor Zhen Yang, Beijing University of Technology, Feburary 2014 -
- Professor Ying Wang, Jilin University, September 2013 - September 2014
- Professor Guoyong Cai, Guilin University of Electronic Technology,
January 2013 - July 2013
- Professor Shijin Li, HoHai University, May 2012 - May 2013
- Professor Yingzhou Bi, Guangxi Teacher Education University, Spring 2012 -
- Professor Yimin Wen, Guilin University of Electronic Technology, Spring 2012