Paul Kei Matsuda
http://matsuda.jslw.org/

Waseda Symposium on Teaching and Research in Academic Writing

This is an event that took place at Waseda University, Japan, last February. (Chris Tardy was one of the invited speakers.) Topics included writing center pedagogy, graduate and undergraduate academic writing, and technology/corpora and L2 academic writing.

This is an important event to me because it seems to indicate that L2 writing research and instruction is becoming increasingly important in Japan.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Sahana said...

Hello Matsuda-san,
I have recently chanced upon your blog. When I read about the Waseda Symposium, I was very intrigued. I was hoping to read some more about the symposium and the presentations made there. I am an English teacher in India and head a team of instructors. We conduct online courses to help ESL/EFL learners improve their skill in written English communication. Presently, our learners are all from Japan, and a majority of them are professionals.
I am going to be a frequent visitor to your website and blog as well.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:39:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Thanks, Sahana, for your comment. Sounds like you have an interesting teaching situation.

I'm afraid I can't give you the deails because I wasn't there. Even if I had been there, I wouldn't have the time to describe the details for everyone. I can only focus on what I find worth mentioning. Hope you understand.

Are you planning to attend Asia TEFL in Malaysia next year? If so, I hope to run into you!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Sahana said...

Hello Matsuda-san,
Thank you for the reply. I do understand that it is difficult for you to respond to everyones queries. I hope to attend some seminars in the coming year, especially the one in Malaysia. I would love to meet you. In the meantime, I want to catch up on my reading and am planning to get some of your books.

The biggest challenge for me, when attempting to teach written English skills to EFL learners, is explaining word order and how this can impact the meaning.

I also read about the seminar in Taiwan where L2 Writing is the key area of discussion. I hope to see and hear you speak in one of these soon.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hi Sahana,

Great. I look forward to meeting you at one of those conferences!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Last update: January 6, 2008